Pages

Skip to main content

The Secret life of bees by Moira Butterfield and Vivian Mineker

 Synopsis 


Welcome to my honey hive home.
It’s where I live with my family.
I’m small and fuzzy and striped black and gold.
I’m Buzzwing the hardworking honeybee!


Did you know that bees love to dance? Or that they have an amazing sense of smell to help them find the best flowers? In The Secret Life of BeesBuzzwing shares with you all the details of her life as a bee, in and out of the hive, starting with the day she was born.



Review

I was really excited about this book straight away from the look of the fantastic front cover and of course the subject matter. There are so many interesting and useful facts to learn about bees and this book covers them all.

Written from the perspective of ‘Buzzwing the Honey Bee’, with an ‘when I was born’ and ‘all about me’ section, it is a really fun way to seize interest from the start. I loved the way we are introduced to Buzzwing’s friends and we learn about the different bee’s jobs.

This book has got everything you need in a non-fiction book for children of this age group. There are things to spot in the pictures, ideas for writing activities, gardening for bees tips and some bee tales. The short stories break up the information pages so to give the child a different focus for a while. I really like this approach.

The main focus of the book is honey making bees, but there is a section on different types of bees. The facts are presented in small snippets of text surrounded by interesting and fun illustrations. This is a feature that is presented throughout, fun and cute illustrations which ensure that learning is fun and exciting.

It would be difficult to finish reading this book in one sitting as there is just so much here. This book is such a treat and holds a huge amount of information. For children interested in wildlife and nature it would be a fantastic addition to their bookshelf. I will be recommending this book to lots of parents!

ISBN: 0711260494
Publisher: Quarto Publishing
Publication date: 20th April 2021



Comments