Pages

Skip to main content

The Valley of Lost Secrets by Lesley Park

 The Valley of Lost Secrets by Lesley Park


Synopsis

September 1939.

When Jimmy is evacuated to a small village in Wales, it couldn't be more different from London. Green, quiet and full of strangers, he instantly feels out of place. But then he finds a skull hidden in a tree, and suddenly the valley is more frightening than the war.

Who can Jimmy trust? His brother is too little; his best friend has changed. Finding an ally in someone he never expects, they set out together to uncover the secrets that lie with the skull. What they discover will change Jimmy - and the village - forever.


Review

Ever since my first school trip to the Imperial war museum in 1992 I have been fascinated in World War Two history. Had this book been written back then I’m sure it would have been my absolutely favourite!

I couldn’t resist buying this book and it really lived up to my expectations. It was like a big comfort blanket of a book for me! I loved Mrs Thomas, such a lovely character. She is described so well through her movements and potterings that I can picture her completely. Jimmy is a very interesting character and we are taken on a mystery with him. We follow him through all his thoughts and bumps along the way and this is a complete joy of an adventure.

There are so many parts of the plot that make for great discussions, such as detachment and loss, bullying, poverty and war. This book would make a perfect companion to topic work on World War Two in schools.

There is a secret at the end of this book which is brilliant fun. I will be keeping this for my daughter to read when she is old enough as I’m sure this will become a classic.

I can’t recommend this book enough! Just brilliant! 

ISBN: 1526620529
Publisher : Bloomsbury press
Publishing date: 1st January 2021






Comments