Pages

Skip to main content

Harklights by Tim Tilley

 Harklights by Tim Tilley

Synopsis

Wick has always lived in the dark and dreadful Harklights Match Factory and Orphanage, working tirelessly for greedy Old Ma Bogey. He only dreams of escaping, until one day a bird drops something impossible and magical at his feet - a tiny baby in an acorn cradle...

As midnight chimes, Wick is visited by the Hobs, miniature protectors of the forest. Grateful for the kindness shown to their stolen child, they offer Wick the chance of a lifetime - escape from Harklights and begin a new life with them in the wild...

Winner of the Joan Aiken Future Classics Prize, Harklights is a magical story celebrating family, friendship and the natural world, filled with a message of hope for our times.

Review


I am quite a newbie book blogger so I was absolutely super excited when I was picked by Usborne to receive a proof copy of Harklights! 

I was really taken aback by how amazing the contrast of dark and light is explored. There is such darkness in the first few chapters, that I felt quite emotional for the children’s plight in the orphanage that they live. I felt uncomfortable and quite honestly appalled. However, this is all for good reason..

As the story unravels we discover such beauty and light in nature, and we dread having to return to the darkness that is Harklights. I love the warmth of Wicks character, and his desperation to belong. He is such a lovable so well developed character. I could feel him being pulled back to Harklights and just wanted him to stay and belong with the Hobs.

The illustrations in the book are also Tim Tilley’s and they are beautiful. There is such a connection between the words and pictures, we can see clearly the story through the pictures. Not all the picture were available in the proof, so I will look forward to buying a copy in May and seeing them all.

I was whisked away on this adventure, straight into the hobs and Wicks world and I really enjoyed this book!

 I must say, I haven’t been able to look at a blackbird the same way for a while. Blackbirds have always been my favourite bird and now I can imagine myself hitching a flight with one! Maybe one day...

ISBN: 1474966608
Published by : Usborne 
Publication: 13 May 2021








Comments