Pages

Skip to main content

Walker: the mystery of the missing millions by Shoo Rayner

 Walker: the mystery of the missing millions by Shoo Rayner


Synopsis


Ten-year-old Walker isn't allowed a dog of his own, so he walks other peoples. But when he finds he can understand them, he gets drawn into mysteries that only the dogs can solve. When crooked billionaire, Arlington Wherewithal goes to prison, his wife, Jazaminta, asks Walker to look after his dogs. Walker finds out that a gang is trying to make Jazaminta tell them the hiding place of Arlington's missing millions. Walker tries to help, but when he gets too close he puts himself in peril! Can Walker, his friend Anje ,and the dogs save themselves, and follow the clues to finding the missing millions?

Cover illustration 

Review

I haven't read Shoo Rayner's first book 'Walker' in this series.  I think the reader would benefit from having read the first book, but there is enough introduction to get you started without having done so.
I love the fun illustrated introduction to the characters at the beginning of this book. Shoo Raynor's illustrations are brilliant, so characterful that after those first few pages you feel ready to start the story.

The story is delightful! and indeed a mystery like the title describes. I warmed to Walker straight away, he is a lovely boy who just wants to look after dogs and make sure they are fed and happy. The dog's really love and trust him, and this makes for a really great story.

I found myself trying to solve the mystery when i popped the book down. I was really happy to find that i had worked out the clue! I'm sure there will be lots of young readers that do that same and it will give them a real sense of achievement! Maybe that will encourage the reader to discover other mystery books too.

This is a real feel good story, that is bound to delight young readers. The are some difficult words which would be great to extend the readers vocabulary. I would recommend this book to free reader children. 

I received a eBook version of this book from netgalley for my unbiased review.


ISBN: 978-1913102531
Publisher: Firefly press
Published: 25 March 2021


Comments