Pages

Skip to main content

The King’s Birthday Suit by Peter Bentley and Claire Powell

 Synopsis

King Albert-Horatio-Otto the Third
had SO many clothes it was simply absurd .

So when two seemingly well-meaning fabric merchants promise to make an outfit of only the very BEST and most special cloth, King Albert-Horatio-Otto the Third simply cannot resist. He MUST have these new clothes! Surely, the unquestionably charitable and not-at-all-suspicious-looking tailors are genuine, and the King won't end up looking red-cheeked . ? 

Review

Tee-hee! I knew I would like this book! As a child I had a story book called ‘The Emperors new clothes’ and it used to make me giggle a lot! I love this premise of this story, the King who is overwhelmed by wealth and self righteousness that he believes he is wearing a special cloth, and his subjects who are too scared to tell him the truth.

I really enjoyed the rhyming verses and the often cheeky use of worlds such as ‘new’ and ‘loo’. These also  got a big giggle from my daughter. I knew we were leading up to the hilarious ending and I really enjoyed the journey. 

The illustrations are absolutely amazing, I love that the crowd of people are depicted as coming from all different ethnic groups and from many countries, this was a really great talking point with my daughter.

Indeed the ending is hilarious and we loved it. This book is a real delight, very cheeky and just a whole lot of fun!

ISBN ; 1408860139
Publisher : Bloomsbury children’s book
Published on : 29th April 2021

Comments