Pages

Skip to main content

Sing along with me! Happy Birthday

A few days ago,  I spent the afternoon in the library browsing some books to read to my daughter. It's half-term school holidays and my usual quiet browse was nice and busy as there were quite a few families about. The library is volunteer run and has a family feel to it anyway, and special memories for me as it was my local library growing up.
I found two new and brightly coloured board books published by Nosy Crow. This one had a very fitting family feel-  'Sing along with me! Happy Birthday'- illustrated by Yu-hsuan Huang


Book details- Format- Board book, ISBN: 9780857637499, Published- 4 Aug 2016

Book synopsis- Happy Birthday- with chunky sliders to push and pull, everyone will love to join in with this favourite celebration song!

At first sight of the Rabbit popping up behind the cake on the front cover of this book, my daughter had a HUGE smile for him. She was really surprised to see it jumping up and what a clever slider it is!

The illustrations used for this book are very cute indeed, and there is lots of added detail, such as family portraits hung on the walls, and birthday bunting. This makes talking about the illustrations with my daughter fun.

There are few words in the book, just the words to the Happy Birthday song are used, however the illustrations themselves tell the story. The sliders are ingenious and really fun to discover, and thoroughly enjoyed by my daughter.

What grabbed me about this book, was the lovely family feel. The Mummy rabbit is overjoyed to see her son coming down the stairs on his birthday and you get the impression that she is a very lovely Mummy indeed!

The drawbacks of this book is that there are very few pages, this is because of the sliders and their chunky nature. I also found that the last slide was disappointing as it wasn't as good as the rest of them. It was a shame to end on a disappointing slider.

I loved this book just as much as my daughter, and I agree that it would make a lovely birthday present,. This book could be enjoyed at any time of the year due to the fun nature of the pop ups and picture story telling. An invite to listen to the song through a QR code is also an added bonus.

Rating: four out of five

Comments