Pages

Skip to main content

The Great Shelby Holmes Girl Detective- Elizabeth Eulberg

To my great surprise I won a copy of this book from Bloomsbury publishers. It was a twitter competition and I was so excited that I won it. I don't usually win many things, and this has been the first thing I have won for a long time. I couldn't wait to start reading it as I knew it would be a fun read and I was right!


Synopsis-
Shelby Holmes is not your average nine-year-old. For one, she happens to be the best detective her neighbourhood has ever seen, using her uncanny analytical mind and sassy attitude to solve crimes which stump even the police department.

But when eleven-year-old John Watson moves in to her block of flats, Shelby finds a solution to the one puzzle that's eluded her up until now: friendship.

This dynamic duo find themselves swept up in a dog-napping case that'll take both their talents to crack.

Review-
I made the mistake of thinking that this would be an easy read and a basic story, Instead, I found the characters amazingly interesting and developed and the plot twisting and exciting! I finished it wanting to read more Shelby adventures.

Shelby is a quirky character and instantly appealing, She is bright and intelligent for her age and a very likeable character. The world she lives in is however fictional indeed, and I can't imagine a world where a child detective would be called upon before a real police detective! However, this pretend and make believe society, makes for a fun read where children are treated as equal to adults.

John is also a very likable character. I enjoyed the references to his diabetes, which was explained well, and I believe a good topic to bring up in a book which could be discussed with a parent. I also thought the references to his own parents separation was an interesting side story, and another interesting character development.

The dog-napping plot was fantastic, and very exciting. I wasn't able to forecast any developments, which for a children's book is brilliant! Every twist and turn was unexpected and this made for a really enjoyable read. When I saw that this story would be about dog napping, I thought it might be basic and predictable. Well this story was everything but that!!

I must mention the awesome illustrations, I love the front cover its really appealing and the illustrations are dotted throughout the book too. Some of them are repeated, but I realise there are quite a few pages to fill and this just adds to the theme of the book. Brilliant!

I will be looking forward to the next instalment of  the Great Shelby Holmes, in fact I can't wait for it and will put it on my birthday list! In the meantime i'm shelving this book for when my daughter is old enough to read it. I'm sure she will love it!

Here is a link to Elizabeth's website!
Elizabeth Eulberg's website

Rating:
five out of five

Check out my review of : It all comes down to this- Karen English









Comments