Pages

Skip to main content

If Birds Fly Back by Carlie Sorosiak

I received this ARC from NetGalley last week and I couldn't wait to start reading- 'If Birds Fly Back' by Carlie Sorosiak.

It seemed like a really fun and exciting read- a mystery and love story all rolled into one. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't blown away either- here is my unbiased view.


'If Birds Fly back' is written in a unique style. Each chapter alternates between two main characters Linny and Sebastien, who tell their part of the story. This is very effective and enables the reader to really understand each character well. I enjoyed this style of writing although sometimes I had to re-read again who was telling this particular part of the story as it got a bit confusing.

I found the romantic love story in this book appealing and it wasn't predictable, but reader you would be fooled into thinking this is just another teen romance. This book is about all different kinds of love, yes romantic love too, but also love for your family, friends, love for animals, parents and siblings, extended family, love for strangers, and romantic love.

I wanted to like the characters in this story, and I liked Linny, however I really struggled with liking Sebastien, mainly because of his use of bad language! I didn't warm to him as a person, and this unfortunately affected how I feel in general about this book. Linny however, was a very warm hearted character.

The plot is fantastic and really well executed. I found myself really excited towards the last half of the book, as I wanted to find out what was going to happen to the characters and the mysteries they were trying to solve. Linny's story was particularly interesting and I found myself wishing and hoping that I would get the end that I wanted. I think I did, without giving anything away, I was contented with that ending but a more dramatic ending would have been to my liking.

I didn't enjoy the bad language in the book which I found to be a bit unnecessary and also the references to causal sex were not needed. Sebastien's friend 'Micah' was the root of most of these references, and I think the author was trying to make the reader understand that Sebastien was the less problematic teen of the two, however it just made me mad that he had such a dysfunctional friend in the first place!

I enjoyed this book, however I wouldn't rush back to read it again. I found that towards the end of the book I wanted to keep reading to find out how it ended, but I wasn't sad to put it down once I had finished it.

Book details- Format- Paperback         ISBN: 9781509835867          Publication date: 29th June 2017

Ratings -
Age group-  15 +
Language - Frequent bad language
Star rating- Four out of five

Check out my review for :
It All Comes Down to This- Karen English- A heart warming read.




Comments